[Korean grammar] A/V-겠어요 ① Intentions and Plans

Also Read


올해에는 담배를 꼭 끊겠습니다.
This year, I’m going to stop smoking.


제가 출장을 가겠습니다.
I’ll go on the business trip.

잠시 후에 인천공항에 도착하겠습니다.
We will soon arrive at Incheon Airport.


Grammar Focus:
1. -겠어요 is added to the ends of verbs to express the intention or will of the speaker. It corresponds to '(l) will/am going to’ or '(l) plan to’ in English. It is made by adding -겠어요 to the verb stem. The negative form is made by adding -지 않겠어요 or 안 -겠어요.

• 아침마다 운동하겠어요.
I plan to exercise every morning.
• 이제 술을 마시지 않겠어요.
I won't drink alcohol any more.
When -겠어요 is used to express intention or will, the subject cannot be in the third person.
• 카일리 씨는 내일부터 다이어트를 하겠어요. (X)
->카일리 씨는 내일부터 다이어트를 할 거예요. (〇)
Kylie will start her diet (from) tomorrow.
->저는 내일부터 다이어트를 하겠어요. (〇)
I start my diet (from) tomorrow.

2.  -겠어요 can also be used to convey information that something is about to occur. In this case, it corresponds to ‘should’ or ‘will’ in English.
• 기차가 곧 도착하겠습니다. The train will arrive shortly.
• 내일은 비가 오겠습니다. should rain tomorrow.




Conversation:
A: 왕단 씨, 지각하지 마십시오! Wang Dan, let’s not be late to class!
B: 죄송합니다. 내일부터는 일찍 오겠습니다. I’m sorry. I’ll arrive early starting tomorrow.

A: 외국 손님들이 오셔서 통역이 필요합니다.
Some foreign guests are here, so I need someone to interpret.
B: 부장님, 그럼 제가 통역을 하겠습니다.
In that case, Chief, I will interpret for you.

A: 잠시 후에는 안준호 교수님께서 한국 경제에 대해 강의를 하시겠습니다. 
Professor An Junho will give a lecture on the Korean economy shortly.
B: 안녕하십니까?안준호입니다.
Good afternoon. I’m An Junho.

Notes:
1. -겠 is used idiomatically in the following cases.
• 처음 뵙겠습니다. 이민우입니다.
It’s a pleasure to meet you. (We meet for the first time.) I'm Lee Minu.
• 잘 먹겠습니다. Thank you for preparing this food. (I will enjoy this food.)
• 어머니. 학교 다녀오겠습니다. Mother, I’m off to school.

2. -겠 is also used when the speaker wants to be less assertive and more gentle and polite when expressing a thought.
A: 여러분. 여기까지 알겠어요? 
Everyone, do you understand (what I’ve discussed) so far?
B: 아니요. 잘 모르겠어요. No, I don’t quite understand.

>> Full of 'Korean grammar in use - Beginner': Click here
>> Fanpage: Say Hi Korean


Share this

Author:

안녕하세요? 즐거운 하루를 보내세요!ㅎㅎ

0 comments: