[Korean grammar] A/V-아/어도 되다

Also Read

사진을 찍어도 돼요?
May I take a picture?


여기 앉아도 돼요?
May I sit here?


펜을 써도 돼요?
May I use that pen?


Grammar Focus:
A/V-아/어도 되다 expresses permission or approval for a behavior. It corresponds to ‘may’ or ‘be allowed to, in English. If the stem ends in the vowel ㅏ or ㅗ, then -아도 되다 is used, and for all other vowel endings, -어도 되다 is used. As for verbs ending in 하다, the form changes to 해도 되다. In place of -아/어도 되다, -아/어도 괜찮다 and -아/어도 좋다 can also be used.




Conversation:
A: 밤에 전화해도 돼요? May I call you at night?
B: 물론이에요. 전화하세요. Sure. Please call anytime.

A: 창문을 열어도 돼요? Do you mind if I open the window?
B: 그럼요, 열어도 돼요. Not at all. You may open it.

A: 라디오를 켜도 돼요? May I turn on the radio?
B: 아이가 자고 있어요. 켜지 마세요.
The child is asleep. Please don't turn it on.

>> Full of 'Korean grammar in use - Beginner': Click here
>> Fanpage: Say Hi Korean


Share this

Author:

안녕하세요? 즐거운 하루를 보내세요!ㅎㅎ

0 comments: